What do you think of the novel "Dracula" by Bram S

Regarding Vlad Tepes

Moderators: Shish-kabob-Forrest, webmaster, Vlad

Bete

What do you think of the novel "Dracula" by Bram S

Post by Bete »

What do you really think of the novel "Dracula" by Bram Stoker? It is based on Vlad Tepes, but is a work of fiction. I know Vlad was regarded as a local hero, so does the story seem like an insult to the legacy of the real Vlad Tepes?
tenzinnyima

Post by tenzinnyima »

i strongly believe in the saying,"there is no smoke without a fire"
Shish-kabob-Forrest

Post by Shish-kabob-Forrest »

There was a discussion on this board months ago about what Vladislav III would have thought about the origional Dracula story and the conclusion was that he more then likley would have approved of it for the simple fact that without it, the life he lived and the events of the time would have been utterley forgotten by the world. It was fiction that cept real history alive.

As for the story, it was a very briliant idea and an evolutionary idea for it's time. The main things that made it unique is that it put a real life and believable personality behind a vampire, made vampirism seam as much like a viral disease then any mythticle curse and gave a more sensable reaction to crucifixes for a society that was rappidley shifting to science and dealt allot with the idea of secret, hidden killers which was a point of interest at the time as result of the infamous "Jack the ripper" killings.

However, the diolect IMHO is hard to follow for modurn readers and I myself got to board reading it and never made it past the prologue. The movie was awesume though.